Sheila's Motto

"Endeavor to enhance the lives of others through education and encouragement."

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Guest Blogger: Carol M Green shares her Sugar Cookie Recipe


Meet my guest blogger, Carol M Green (M stands for Magnificent, actually). Carol is a grandmother and she runs. Running is one way she helps ensure that she will be around to enjoy many years of grand-mothering. Her motto is “Learn to laugh and laugh while you learn,” because - what else are you going to do? Once you have learned, put it on paper and help others to learn. Carol shares her talents as a book coach, speaker, and social media coach.

I am excited to be Sheila's first guest blogger! I'm sharing this recipe I adapted from one I obtained from my sister.  It's been years, but I think I added more shortening. I never vary from Butter Flavor Crisco! (NO SUBSITUTES) These almost melt in your mouth!  Make a batch for Valentine's Day!
 
Carol's Sugar Cookies
  • 1 C Butter Flavored Crisco
  • 1 C Granulated Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla
  • 1 tsp Baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 3 C Flour
Cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Blend in one cup of the flour. Add baking powder and salt and blend well. Add remaining flour - reserving about 1/4 cup for rolling dough. Mix well.

Dough will be soft. Do not refrigerate. Use remaining flour to keep dough from sticking while rolling out. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out cookies and bake in 400 degree oven for seven minutes. Do not allow edges to brown. Baking times may need to be adjusted.
Allow cookies to cool and decorate with your favorite frosting recipe. (Mine is in my head!  I just add ingredients until it looks and tastes right, but here are some things to help you...)

My Favorite Frosting Recipe

1/4 - 1/2 C butter, softened
1 tsp Vanilla
Powdered Sugar
Milk (about 1/4 cup)
Dash of salt

Cream butter and add vanilla.  I then begin adding powdered sugar and milk alternately until I have a fluffy white frosting. When I am happy with the consistency, I add a dash of salt. A seasoned southern belle once told me, "The salt makes the sweet sweeter."

Add food coloring and sprinkles - or not. It's really about what makes you happy!

Let them melt in your mouth!

You can find Carol at Running Granny Green or on Facebook.

Visit my Guest Bloggers page to get to know all of my blogging friends.

Happy Baking!




1 comment: