Excellent empanadas! After making the meat and potato variety, we want to try our hand at creating some dessert ones next time around.
- 2 1/4 cups white wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp salt, optional
- 1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter, diced into cubes
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup ice water
- 1 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar
- Mix flour and salt together in a mixing bowl
- Blend in butter with fork or pastry blender
- Beat together egg, water and vinegar
- Add to flour mixture and mix with fork
- Turn onto lightly floured bread board or counter top
- Knead a few times to blend dough
- Form into a rectangle on a cookie sheet
- Cover with plastic wrap
- Chill dough in refrigerator
- 1 lb. ground chorizos
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6-8 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 large red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 medium sized yellow potatoes
- 1 egg slightly beaten with 1 Tbsp. water
- Brown ground chorizos with onions and garlic
- Add red bell pepper and potatoes
- Add spices
- Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender
- Cool mixture to room temperature
- Remove bay leaf
FILL EMPANADA DOUGH:
- Divide dough into equal pieces (depending upon the size of the empanada maker you have, this recipe will yield somewhere between 6-12 empanadas.
- Roll out piece of dough with a lightly floured rolling pin to about 1/8th inch thick
- Spoon approx. 2 Tbsp. filling into each one
- Fold dough in half
- Press edges together to seal
- Place on baking sheet
- Lightly brush empanadas with some of the egg wash
- Bake in 400 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on baking rack before serving
- Serve with fresh, sliced tomatoes and green olives
- Serve with salsa, guacamole, and sour cream
- These are tasty enough to be served without any condiments as the ground chorizos have enough kick of their own!
STRAIGHT FROM THE HORSE'S TROUGH
- This was a special treat for me as I was able to pick some tomatoes from my horse trough gardening method to serve with our empanadas.
- Here's the link to order a copy of this
- quick read e-book:
If you like Mexican food, you've got to try this recipe! Give it a whirl, and let me know what you think.
Happy Cooking & Dining!