Sheila's Motto

"Endeavor to enhance the lives of others through education and encouragement."

Monday, April 16, 2018

Poetry & Prose ~~ "Spring Sonnets, Sports, & Symposiums"


Now that spring is in full swing, it's a great time to head outdoors to do some reading and writing.  I suppose you could even do some 'rithmetic if that's on your schedule.



                                                                         Sonnets

For my April issue of Writers' T. & T. (Writers' Tips & Techniques), I invite you to try your hand at writing a sonnet of which there are basically six different styles and types.  The word sonnet is derived from the Italian word "sonnetto," which means a "little song" or small lyric.  For more details, please scoop this:  https://literarydevices.net/sonnet/



                         

Of Farms & Frames

Down through the family trees they descended,
Some with brown eyes, others with blue, one with green.
All were created so lovingly by God,
Implementing His masterful right hand.
A lively clan as one could easily hear.
The patriarch was quite a character,
To which the neighbors would gladly attest.
The little farm provided years of quick learning,
Lessons required to be remembered.
Time flees so quickly; capture it right now,
Chances abound for precious memories.
Print them to place inside a pretty frame,
To continue your family legacy,
For the generations which will follow you.



GRANDKIDDOS' SPRING SPORTS 

                                      

Granddaughter, Ali ,with a fabulous serve during her first spring volleyball game.

                                         

Grandson, T. J., executing the perfect hike during his Friday Night Flag Football game.

                                     

Since brother's team was winning by a wide margin, sister reads on.  She's never without a book. Speaking of readers and writers, one doesn't need to look very far back in the family trees to find many of the same bent.

 Spring Writers' Symposium 

Those of you who attended the Spring Writers' Symposium on St. Patrick's Day in Parma, Idaho were treated to a little humor when I commenced my workshop on Creative Writing. I wanted to celebrate my new found ancestry with a stylish pair of glasses. What do you think?

                                                                   
Speaking of creative writing, enter to win your choice of one of my books featured on my blog page ~~ www.sheilassagaciousstirrings.blogspot.com or the creative writing exercise and instructions I presented during the recent symposium.  This creative writing packet will include three creative writing prompts.

How to enter:

1.  Follow me on Facebook or Twitter@SheilaEismann (if you are not already doing so) and mention the title of this newsletter, "Spring Sonnets, Sports and Symposiums."

2.  Visit my blog post, "Spring Sonnets, Sports and Symposiums." and leave a comment.

3.  Share the blog post on Facebook or Twitter.  (Don't forget to tag me and comment "Spring Sonnets, Sports and Symposiums" when you share, so I will know you entered.)

4.  For those of you who are not social media subscribers, please send an email to:  sheila@desertsagepress.com and indicate that you'd like to have your name entered in the giveaway.

The giveaway will run from now until April 30th.  The winner will be announced Monday, April 30th at noon MDT via Facebook, Twitter, and email.  Must be 18 years old to enter.  Winner's choice of one of my books or creative writing materials ships only to mainland United States.

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see."  [John Burrough]

In the interim, Happy Reading & Write On!

Sheila Fabulous

Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment