Fresh honey, almond flavoring, applesauce and pecans make for a scrumptious combination in this moist, melt-in-your-mouth cake!
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup honey (I used light colored clover honey)
- 1/2 cup applesauce, slightly heated in microwave
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan.
- Cream butter and honey until well blended in mixing bowl.
- Add heated applesauce along with almond flavoring and mix well.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the honey and applesauce mixture.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the hot water and mix thoroughly and quickly.
- Add to mixture inside bowl.
- Blend well.
- Pour batter into baking pan.
- Bake for 38 - 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Yields 10-12 servings.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Delicious with ice cream or whipping cream.
- Iced tea or warm tea enhances the honey flavor of the cake.
- Iced or cold coffee is a nice beverage to serve with cake
Happy Baking & Enjoy!