- Mix together in mixing bowl:
- 3/4 cup soft shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- Sift together in another bowl:
- 2 1/4 cups Gold Medal flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp. salt, optional
- Mix dry ingredients into molasses mixture.
- Chill dough in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly grease baking sheets.
- Roll teaspoonfuls of chilled dough into balls the size of large walnuts.
- Dip tops in granulated sugar, optional.
- Place cookies, sugared side up, 3 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or just until set, but not hardened.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Yields approximately 4 dozen cookies.
One of the major things I like the best about these cookies is that they do not dry out as some molasses varieties have a tendency to do.
Serve with coffee, hot tea, ice cream, iced tea or milk.
Happy Baking & Eating. Enjoy!