- 2 - 1 lb. bags of frozen berries or 6 cups fresh berries
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups oatmeal (not the quick cooking variety)
- 2 cups white flour
- 1 tsp. salt, optional
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 sticks butter (1 cup)
- Spray a 10 inch pie plate or a 9 x 9 inch square baking pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Place berries in pan.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl and blend in butter with a fork or pastry blender.
- When mixture is crumbly, spread it thickly over the berries.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until hot and topping is browned.
Serves 6 and can be easily doubled. Blackberries may be substituted with a variety of other fruit or berries. I have an old 10 inch round Corning Ware® oven pan with 2 inch sides that I use to make this recipe and it works very well. Since I like to make it with a lot of “topping”, I use a pan with “tall enough sideboards”, so to speak, so that when the crumble mixture is initially placed on top and before it sinks down a bit during the cooking process, it does not fall over the sides of the cooking container and onto the counter.
Serve warm with Cool Whip® or ice cream! Enjoy!
I would enjoy hearing from you if you try the recipe and like it or if you have a variation of this same basic recipe with some other helpful hints!
Happy Reading & Eating.