Sheila's Motto

"Endeavor to enhance the lives of others through education and encouragement."

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Poetry & Prose ~~~ "Generations"



When my first generation began
           I have no clue,
Dwelling upon it now and then
            I certainly wish I knew.

Who married who
            and how did they become acquainted?
Was it love at first sight
            or a romance quite belated?

Where did they live
            and how did they get to the states?
Was it by air, land, or sea
            as they awaited their fates?

Were their life spans
            lengthy or short?
How many of their dreams
            did they have to abort?

Occupations, interests, and hobbies
            were probably quite varied.
If they were listed on a wall
            it probably couldn’t be carried.

God ultimately decided
            in which clan to place me.
My children and I would become
            part of my family tree.
Since He makes no mistakes,
            I’m exactly where I need to be.


~~ Excerpted from my newest book titled Poetry Time which is available on Amazon.com or in my Etsy shop.  Here is the Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Poetry-Time-Inspirational-Collection-Traditional-ebook/dp/B01G7J4SSC/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8#nav-subnav





Do you like the black and white bead work ensemble featured at the top of this blog post?  I certainly do!  It was handcrafted by my fellow author, Carol M. Green, who is also a spectacular social media coach.  Speaking of Carol, she designed my fabulous blog page.  In terms of giftings and talents working their way down through the generations, here's a glimpse of Carol's siblings and what they do in their spare time ~~


Kaye is a seamstress and painter.
Bonnie fashions fused glass necklaces, stained glass windows, and lamps.
Barbara crafts crafts.
Ted was a portrait photographer.
Claire is a seamstress.
Carol's daughter, Marie, is also a seamstress and makes the cutest bags.
Carol's granddaughter, Maggie, is an artist who has illustrated two children's books titled Gary Learns to Skate and Gary Learns to Fish both of which can be found on Amazon.
Carol's sister, Judy, makes gorgeous items from leather such as this handcrafted checkbook cover.


Are you a runner in real life?  Please check out Carol's blog page http://runninggrannygreen.blogspot.com/.  She also completes custom orders for her beadwork, designs websites, and writes books!

I would be remiss if I did not mention my youngest granddaughter, Ali, who has started authoring the first book in her children's mystery series titled The Cupcake Thief.  Imagine this if you will ~~ Ali sits to my left in my little office and dictates as I type on my keyboard!  She will be the fourth published author on both sides of my family.  It all started with my paternal great aunt, Dr. Effie Mona Mack, who wrote the state history for the Nevada public schools. Maternal aunt, Fern Hunt, penned beautiful poetry. Yours truly is just about ready to release her tenth book, and Miss Ali Faith is hot on the mystery trail. My oldest daughter, Cathie Richardson, is a freelance artist and graphic designer whose work is featured in such books as The Christmas Tin. This wonderfully illustrated book encourages young children to prepare a small gift for someone who is not expecting it in order to bless them.  It reinforces the timeless message of love is the greatest gift of all.  Cathie's designs are featured in Fine Art America  http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/cathie-richardson.html



As you look back in your family tree what do you see?  There just might be some very pleasant surprises waiting there for you!  Inheritances are not always bank accounts, buildings, businesses or land.  Sometimes they manifest in the most amazing ways.  So, prepare to be amazed!

Happy Reading & Creating!

Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram  

2 comments:

  1. Sheila, I love this! Thanks for the shout out. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful poem to start your blog today!! Such a great way to think about where we "landed". And make no mistake, we are never where we are by accident. And that's a rare "never" that's the truth!!

    ReplyDelete