- 2 large zucchinis
- 1 lb. hamburger
- 1 - 15 oz. can Italian diced tomatoes or use fresh tomatoes
- 1 - 15 oz. can cut green beans, drained, or use fresh green beans
- 1 - 15 oz. can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup minute rice
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Wash zucchinis and pat dry with paper towels.
- Brown hamburger, season to taste with salt and pepper (optional), drain and rinse.
- Return hamburger to skillet and add tomatoes and both kind of beans.
- Add 1 cup of water.
- Bring mixture to a boil and add 1/2 cup of minute rice.
- Cover and cook until rice is tender.
- Cut zucchinis in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
- Fill zucchinis with beef mixture.
- Place a small amount of water in bottom of baking pan before placing zucchinis inside to bake.
- Bake 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Can be served with or without the outside zucchini skin.
- This is a great way to make use of zucchini that has grown too large if you normally prefer them in a smaller size.
- Very tasty with garlic or regular french bread.
I grew the zucchinis in my horse trough and my friend Bobbie contributed the recipe. Teamwork makes it happen!
For additional information on horse trough gardening, please check out Straight From The Horse's Trough in my Etsy shop. Thanks!
Happy cooking & dining!