Sheila's Motto

"Endeavor to enhance the lives of others through education and encouragement."

Friday, August 12, 2016

Sweet & Savory Friday ~~~ Retro 50's Casserole


INGREDIENTS:
  • 6-8 pork chops or thin loin chops
  • 2 cups rice
  • 3 3/4 cups water
  • 1 - 4 oz. jar diced pimentos
  • 1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
  • Seasoned pepper

INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Lightly brown pork chops and sprinkle with seasoned pepper, optional
  • Place rice in bottom of 9 x 13 inch baking pan
  • Heat water to boiling and pour in baking pan
  • Add package of onion soup mix
  • Add jar of diced pimentos
  • Mix thoroughly
  • Place pork chops on top
  • Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for one hour

SERVING SUGGESTIONS:
  • Since I just harvested fresh tomatoes from my horse trough gardening receptacle yesterday, I sliced some of those to serve with the pork chop and rice casserole.

  • No pork chop dish is complete without a little applesauce.  Pork chops and applesauce. That's sort of a tongue twister along the lines of Sufferin' Succotash!
  • A nice summer salad is a tasty compliment with any dinner.

When I was a young girl being raised on Sage Creek Farms, I have fond memories of my sweet mother, Rita, preparing this dish which is a family favorite. A variation of it first appeared in some type of farming magazine in the 1950's; ergo, I have titled my blog post Retro 50's Casserole.  I just thought that wording would add a little extra pizzazz.  What say you?

Happy Dining & Retroing!

Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram  

No comments:

Post a Comment