- 2 Cups Dried Small Navy Beans
- 1 - 8 ounce package diced ham
- 2 - medium onions, chopped
- 1 - Tsp. freshly ground pepper
- Sort through dried beans to remove gravel and debris
- Sprinkle 1 tsp. baking soda over beans and mix together in large bowl
- Cover beans with water and soak over night
- Drain and rinse beans with water in colander the following morning
- Place in crock pot or in large saucepan on stove top
- Add diced ham
- Chop onions and add to mixture
- Add pepper
- Cover with water and cook 6 hours on high setting on crock pot or cook on stove top until beans are tender
HELPFUL HINTS & SUGGESTIONS:
- If preparing the bean soup in a crock pot, add just enough water so that it covers the beans by about one inch.
- I process the onions in my food processor until they are the puree stage, and this seems to help them blend into the soup nicely.
- If possible, stir the soup several times during the day while it is cooking.
- This soup is delicious if served with cornbread. I add a 4-oz. can of diced mild green chilies to the standard cornbread recipe.
BEANS ARE BENEFICIAL!
- Aside from fresh meat, beans are one of the least expensive sources of protein.
- Beans contain a boat load of nutrients including antioxidants, along with vitamins and minerals such as copper, folate, iron, zinc, potassium, magnesium, phosphorus, and manganese.
- You can prepare a healthy, inexpensive meal for your family using beans as the main course.
- Several varieties of beans are grown within our great state, so you will be helping to support your local economy while feeding your family.
Happy Eating & Reading!