Just thinking about the scrumptious combination of cheddar cheese and creamed broccoli makes my mouth water! This soup is a lunch or brunch favorite.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. thyme
- a few drops of hot sauce (I used Cajun Sunshine)
- 3/4 tsp. salt, optional
- 1 medium onion, pureed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1/8 tsp. garlic pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Croutons, bread, or crackers
- Place chicken broth, onion, broccoli, garlic pepper, thyme, bay leaves, and hot sauce inside a large sauce pan or stock pot.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer for 12 minutes or until broccoli is softened.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Pour mixture into food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Pour into large bowl.
- Melt butter in sauce pan in which you cooked the broccoli.
- Add flour and salt until a paste forms.
- Add milk and cook, stirring continuously, until mixture thickens.
- Add cheddar cheese and stir until dissolved and mixture is smooth.
- Pour in broccoli mixture and heat until well blended.
- Use additional chicken broth or hot water to thin, if necessary.
- Serve with bread, crackers, or croutons.
- Sprinkle additional shredded cheddar cheese before serving bowls or cups of soup.
- Serve with freshly fried, crumbled, drained, bacon chunks.