Calling all chocolate lovers! This triple layer delight is sure to delight. It's a tad labor intensive to prepare, but well worth the time and effort.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt, optional
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups hot water
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- Place cocoa powder in a 2 cup glass measuring cup.
- Heat water to boiling and blend thoroughly with cocoa powder. Set aside.
- Mix butter until creamy.
- Add granulated sugar and beat with mixer until thoroughly blended.
- Fold in eggs.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture and cocoa powder/water mixture alternately to the butter mixture.
- Mix at low speed on mixer until blended.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour batter into three 9 inch round cake pans that have been lined with wax paper which sides and bottoms have been sprayed with Baker's Joy or some other brand of non-stick baking spray with flour.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in cake pans on cooling racks for 10 minutes.
- Remove cakes from pans.
- Cool completely on cooling racks.
FILLING FOR BOTH LAYERS:
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, approximately
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Whip heavy cream and vanilla until foamy as you gradually add the powdered sugar.
- Whip until soft peaks form.
- Chill while you prepare the frosting.
- 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar, approximately
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup half & half
- Place butter, chocolate chips, and half & half in double broiler.
- Melt ingredients in double boiler using medium heat and stirring until well blended.
- Remove from heat.
- Add confectioner's sugar.
- Place top of double broiler in a large bowl of ice water.
- Mix at low speed with hand mixer until frosting starts to hold shape and loses its glossy texture.
- You may need to add a titch more half & half to achieve the frosting spreading consistency you desire.
FINISHING THE CAKE:
- Select your cake serving plate or platter.
- Gently brush crumbs from each layer of the cooled cake.
- Place first layer of cake onto platter.
- Spread 1/2 of whipping cream mixture on top of first layer.
- Place second layer of cake on top of whipped cream mixture.
- Spread second layer with remaining whipped cream mixture.
- Using a sturdy thin spatula, start on the sides of the cake, and spread frosting evenly all the way around the cake.
- Spread remaining frosting on top of cake.
- Chill prior to serving.
- Refrigerate left over cake if you have any left over!
This is the perfect dessert for the holidays which will be a nice compliment to any entree.
If you are a chocoholic, I would love to hear your opinion regarding this cake recipe.