This is a great entree to serve to your holiday guests. You can prepare it ahead of time, freeze it, and heat and serve, if necessary.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. garlic, diced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 bottle - 28 oz. to 30 oz. diced tomatoes, liquid included
- 1 - 4 oz. can sliced black olives
- 2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
- 1 tsp. freshly ground salt, optional
- 1 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained
- 12 ounces spaghetti noodles, cooked in 1/2 tsp. olive oil, and drained
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 - 10.75 oz. can Cream of Mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded Parmesan Cheese
- In a large skillet or saucepan, lightly saute onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add ground beef and brown until meat is cooked thoroughly, drain, and return to skillet or saucepan.
- Add tomatoes, olives, oregano flakes, salt (optional) and pepper.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Place 1/2 of the cooked noodles in a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Top with half of the ground beef and tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheddar cheese.
- Repeat the above three layers.
- Mix the soup and water until thoroughly blended and pour over the top of the casserole mixture.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese.
- Garnish with sliced olives.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
- Serves 12.